Do you own an electric vehicle — or are you planning to buy one? Great decision. Electric vehicles are the cutting edge of clean, energy-efficient transportation. What you need is a trusted electrician to get the job done right!
As technology improves and prices drop, more and more drivers are choosing electric vehicles. The Energy Innovation think-tank forecasts that by 2050, 65 percent of new light-duty vehicle sales will be EVs. And that’s not including hybrids! Installing a Calgary home charger for your electric vehicle is convenient and affordable.
Sun Electrical provides professional EV charger installation, repair, and maintenance in Calgary, Airdrie, Cochrane, Chestermere, Okotoks, Bragg Creek, and the surrounding areas.
We can install electric car chargers that are compatible with all makes and models of electric vehicles, as well as EV charger surge protectors. If you need to upgrade your electrical panel, no problem – we do that too.
Talk to us today for an EV install and find the right electric vehicle charger for your needs.
Install Level 1, 2, 3 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
LEVEL 1 EV CHARGING STATION
RESIDENTIAL EV CHARGING
One Hour of Charging: 10-16 kilometres
Electrical needs: 120v 15 amp
Time for full charge: 12-16 hours
Advantages: simple, affordable, portable, cost-effective
Disadvantages: slow charging speed
Details: Charger plugs into 120v outlet.
LEVEL 2 EV CHARGING STATION
RESIDENTIAL & COMMERCIAL EV CHARGING
One Hour of Charging: 16-32 kilometres
Electrical needs: dedicated 14-50R receptacle
Time for full charge: 6-8 hours
Advantages: very popular for home use because it’s much faster than Level 1.
Disadvantages: higher cost
Details: Option of plug-in or hardwired charger connection.
LEVEL 3 EV CHARGING STATION
COMMERCIAL EV CHARGING
10 Minutes of Charging: 65-80 kilometres
Electrical needs: 480V, direct-current (DC) plug
Time for full charge: ~ 40 minutes
Advantages: Super-fast and convenient
Disadvantages: Expensive equipment cost, complex installation. Not for home use.
Details: Installed at high traffic venues such as commercial charging stations, rest stops, shopping malls, and car dealerships.
Residential Installation in Calgary
Sun Electrical services offer an easy EV charger installation process for home use:
- Obtain an on-site quote. Just book an appointment online or by phone. A certified electrician will come to your home at the appointed time, inspect the installation site, and provide a firm quote.
- Confirm the device location. We will confirm the exact location where you want the charger installed and ensure the electrical supply.
- Select the charger type. We’ll check with you which type of charger to install — Level 1 or 2 — and which make of electric vehicle you’ll be charging. We will also ask whether you want the charger to be corded or hardwired.
Commercial Installation in Calgary
EV charger installation will give your commercial premises an edge over the competition. With so many of your potential customers driving electric vehicles these days, they’ll naturally prefer to do business at a venue with the charging faculties they need. Charging stations are also appreciated by employees and tenants, both current and future.
Whatever the size of your operation, there’s an option for you, whether it’s a Level 2 or super-fast Level 3 electric vehicle charging station. Sit down with a certified commercial electrician and discuss how commercial EV charging installation can work best for your Calgary business.
Whether you’re in need of commercial or industrial use, contact us to arrange a face-to-face or remote meeting.
EV Charger Brands
Do you have a preference for a particular electric vehicle charger or are you still making up your mind? We’re flexible — we will sell and install any electric vehicle charger brand, as long as it is CSA tested and approved for safety, reliability, and quality.
Here are a few of the EV charger brands with which we work with: FLO, Siemens, and Tesla.
Recommended brands: These are our recommendations among all the brands on the market right now:
- Siemens VersiCharge
- FLO X5 Stage 2 Charger
- FLO G5 — Here’s a high-performance Level 2 charger. 240v 30 amp. CAS and UL certified. It’s a quality product manufactured in Canada to stand up to our extreme weather conditions. Compatible with all electric vehicle makes and models.
Our Home EV Charging Stations
Siemens is one of the world’s best providers of electric vehicle infrastructure for homes and businesses, and has an award-winning line of EV chargers called “VersiCharge”.
- Named Best electric vehicle Charger brand of 2017 by the Wirecutter magazine for convenience, fast charging, quality, and affordability.
- Can connect to any make or model of an electric car via its SAE J1772 connector (Teslas require adapter).
- Recharges your car 75% faster than Level 1 chargers. Fast Level 2 (240 V/30 amp) charging can fill an empty EV battery in 3 to 4 hours.
- Options available for fastest charging (Level 3 – charges in 1 hour for an empty EV battery, faster for hybrids) or for multi-EV homes.
- Option for smartphone monitoring.
- Easy LED charge status indicator can be viewed from a distance.
- Compact design doesn’t take up much room on your wall.
- Take advantage of off-peak electricity rates by pressing the delay charging button – automatically starts charging up to 8 hours after setting.
- Indoor and indoor/outdoor models available.
- Operates at temperatures down to -30°C and up to 50°C.
- Options for older homes via amperage adjustment to match existing output: just set the maximum power setting of 7.2 kW down to 1.8kW.
Siemens VersiCharge Models We Carry
A cost effective solution that doesn’t sacrifice convenience.
- Indoor only
- 14 foot charging cord
- 3 year warranty
- Download the brochure >
VersiCharge Plug In (Portable)
Take your charger to the cottage or to a new home if you move.
- 20 foot charging cord offers more options for crowded driveways
- Indoor/outdoor thanks to additional weatherproofing.
- Portable: plugs in to any NEMA 6-50 outlet (the same kind of outlet used for dryers)
- Plug can be concealed behind the unit or below.
- 3 year warranty
- Download the brochure >
VersiCharge SG with WiFi
Get the flexibility and portability of the plug-in with WiFi connectivity.
- Indoor or outdoor installation
- Monitor and schedule charging via app on your iPhone or Android device
- 3 year warranty
- Download the brochure >
FLO is Canada’s largest electric vehicle charging network.
- Flo operates a comprehensive charging ecosystem that fulfills EV drivers’ needs wherever they may be—at home, at work or on the go—by ensuring a consistently simple and seamless experience.
- FLO offers smart home charging solutions for both single-family houses and multi-unit residential buildings, as well as access to thousands of public charging stations across the country.
- FLO also provides turnkey solutions to property managers, business owners, employers and municipal administrators who wish to support EV adoption by supplying charging services.
FLO X5 Stage 2 Charger
The Flo X5 is attractive and sturdy – this Canadian Made, 240V charger will be right at home in your garage. Offering level 2 charge speeds the Flo X5 is a wall-mounted charger suitable for indoor or outdoor installation.
- The Flo X5 allows for easy expansion in the future with automatic software updates and the ability to add a second X5 on the same breaker.
- Compatible with the Flo App! Review your usage, charging schedule, power use and real-time charging from anywhere!
- Compatible with all models of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles
- Wall bracket included
- Charging Schedule: manage your power peak demand
- Built-in security: protects your electric vehicle and your home against fluctuations in the power grid
- HomePlug power-line communication interface
- Charging power from 6.2 kW to 7.2 kW
- Maximum output current adjustable from 6 A to 30 A
- Real-time technical support: because FLO Home X5 is connected to Canada’s most reliable EV charging network, we can remotely monitor your station’s status
EV Charger Calgary FAQ
What is an electric vehicle charger?
An electric vehicle charger is a device that provides electric current to recharge an electric vehicle.
What is the purpose of an electric vehicle charger?
An electric vehicle charger, or EV charger, is used for electric vehicles to regain battery (or charge). These chargers are typically found in commercial sites that offer gas, car detailing, or other services. Sun Electrical can install a personal unit at your home, or if you are a business owner, install at your place of business as a courtesy to your customers
How long does it take to charge an electric vehicle?
This will depend on a few factors, from the power source available, the EV charger current rating to the capacity of the battery bank in the vehicle itself. Most manufacturers’ websites will provide recharge times for the vehicles they have.
What is the cost of electricity for charging an electric vehicle?
This is also subject to multiple factors, but the answer is universally substantially less than gassing up a car. Depending on your cost of electricity and the size of your vehicle’s battery, the estimated cost can be anywhere from $10-30 per full charge from empty.
What is a Level 2 electric vehicle charger?
The ‘levels’ of EV chargers change between how much power the charging station requires, as well as the speed it charges your vehicle. Level 2 chargers can charge a vehicle twice as fast as a level 1 charger.
Is there a tax credit for installing an electric vehicle charger?
Although there are only EV charger install incentives for businesses and condos, the government of Canada does provide a financial incentive to purchasing or leasing an electric vehicle.
What is the fastest EV charger?
For non-Tesla vehicles, a Level 3 charger is the fastest at delivering a charge and is typically only used in commercial spaces. Charging speed should not be the only factor in your purchasing decision. Connect with us at Sun Electrical and we will help you find the best charger that balances performance, cost, and other charger requirements.
Do I need a permit to install an EV charger?
Yes, the City of Calgary requires a permit for most major electrical installs. We at Sun Electrical will handle the process of pulling the permit and booking the inspection.
What is a smart EV charger?
A smart Electric Vehicle charger can connect to your home’s WIFI system, allowing you to check in on your charging progress, initiate a charge, and other system options. Not all chargers are smart chargers, and not every person needs or wants a smart capability for their home charger.
Can any electrician install an EV charger?
An electrician needs to have specialized knowledge and accreditation for EV charging installations.
Is there a difference between a commercial EV charger and a residential one?
Commercial chargers are sometimes level 2 but most often level 3 fast chargers. Commercial chargers also have security options such as a card reader to provide access to charging. Residential chargers are typically level 1 or 2 with a slower charge time but a much less expensive install cost.
What is a Rapid EV charger?
A typical EV charger provides AC power to the vehicle, which runs the power through an internal charger and converts the power to DC. A rapid charger typically provides DC power directly to the battery, bypassing the conversion. This saves time and energy and charges the vehicle extremely fast. These types of chargers are exclusively for commercial use and are often found next to major highways.
Why would a business install an EV charger?
There are many benefits for a business to install an electric vehicle charger. From financial incentives to attracting more business to you, EV chargers are a great option for service stations, retail, condos, and more.
Do businesses get a tax advantage from having EV chargers?
Businesses in Calgary have financial incentives to install EV chargers, and the government will cover up to 50% of your project costs.
What kind of electrical access does an EV charger need?
This depends on what type of charger is being installed but usually needs 240v at 32A. They can be either hardwired or plug in.
Is it expensive to install an EV charger at your home?
Costs vary quite a bit. For an attached garage, the EV charger installation cost will run about $700 to $2,200 for the charger itself, plus another $800 for installation. If you have a detached garage with no electrical panel inside, you will most likely need to have a trench dug to get more power out to the garage. That will obviously add to the cost of the install. Another unexpected cost might be upgrading your electrical panel/service to accommodate the increased load safely.
It’s Easier Than You Think to Install an EV Charger
Sun Electrical’s professionals are qualified to do any work needed to make your EV charging station a reality. From installing the outlet safely indoors or out, to upgrading the electrical service to your home – it all depends on your needs. Just let us know your priorities in terms of convenience and cost, and we’ll walk you through all the options.
Our friendly electricians will educate you without any high-pressure sales tactics. You’ll be able to make a fully informed decision and learn about all the costs in advance.
That’s right- we provide fully itemized sales quotes in advance so you know exactly what to expect. Best of all, we provide a 100% satisfaction guarantee that says “if it doesn’t work as designed, we’ll repair or replace it for free”!